US joins search for abducted Nigerian girls

Image: Aljazeera 

The United States has sent a team of experts to Nigeria to help find nearly 300 girls and women abducted from a school last month by the armed group Boko Haram.

US President Barack Obama described the kidnapping of the girls as “heartbreaking” and “outrageous”, soon after residents said the group had seized eight more girls, aged between 12 and 15, again in the embattled northeast.

Obama urged global action against Boko Haram and confirmed Nigerian leaders had accepted an offer to deploy US personnel there.

The number of girls taken int he latest kidnapping has risen to 11, an official in the restive northeast said on Wednesday.

Residents initially said eight girls were taken when gunmen stormed a village in the Gwoza area of Borno state late on Sunday.

Gwoza official Hamba Tada told AFP the attackers snatched three more girls in a neighbouring village.

“After leaving Warabe the gunmen stormed the Wala village, which is five kilometres (three miles) away and abducted three more girls,” he told AFP, referring to the two villages.

More from Al Jazeera 

Posted by Libergirl

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s